In June 2015, the National Youth Science Foundation took ownership of the former facilities of the Canaan Valley Institute and established the National Youth Science Center. The NYSCenter is LEED-certified (silver level) by the US Green Building Council and features many environmentally-responsible features including construction with renewable materials, passive lighting, and a living machine that processes wastewater.
- Research and Education Center: The 25,000 square-foot Research and Education Center is the centerpiece of the NYSCenter and includes a 150-person conference hall which may be divided into three smaller rooms seating 50 people each. The conference hall has full audio-video support and WIFI Internet access.
- STEM Library: Includes more than 500 volumes spanning science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- Mathematics and Computational Science Center: Established as an interactive lecture hall this space will be equipped with networked computers and software supporting research and creative endeavors in mathematics. statistics, programming, remote control, robotics, collaborative learning, social networking, and technology-enhanced distance education.
- Physical Science and Electronics Center: Established originally as a teaching laboratory emphasizing stream restoration and ecology, the Physical Science and Electronics Center is outfitted with equipment and supplies supporting physical science and creative endeavors using electronics (micro-controllers, robots, and other electromechanical creations), textiles (cloth, vinyl, leather, rope and string, and wearable electronics), and 3D printing and scanning.
- Environmental Science Research Laboratory: The Environmental Science Research Laboratory can accommodate up to 4 independent researchers, with standard equipment and supplies for conducting environmental studies.
- Research Support Building
- Creative Arts Center: The Creative Arts Center supports paintaing, ceramics, woodworking, metalworking, laser cutting, CNC cutting, and other creative arts.
- Outdoor Outfitters Shop: The Outdoor Outfitters Shop supports outdoor adventures including mountain biking, rock climbing, caving, and backpacking.